New Online Application and Submission Process: As of August 1, 2014:
Link for New Online Application and Submission Process: https://dst.sp.maricopa.edu/DWG/afpglanding/default.aspx
Adjunct Faculty Applicant Submission Process (PDF): AFPG Instructions for Online Process
To access the AFPG site you must login using the following username and password format:
Username: mcccd-org\Your MEID (example: mcccd-org\JANEDOE123456)
Password: Use the same password as in HRMS
Flow of online application process/steps:
Adjunct Faculty applicant applies online -->
Division/Department Chair receives it online & reviews -->
Campus AFPG Representative receives it online & reviews -->
AFPG Review Committee receives it online & recommends final approval or denial -->
Vice Chancellor / Administration provides final stamp of approval or denial, based on AFPG Review Committee recommendation. -->
If approved, applicant, campus representative & campus fiscal contacts notified via email generated from the AFPG Online system.
The Adjunct Faculty Professional Growth Program is administered by the Maricopa Center for Learning and Instruction in the Academic and Student Affairs Division. The program provides funding assistance on a reimbursement basis to adjunct faculty employees to attend conferences, seminars, workshops, and professional meetings that are directly related to, and will enhance/update the applicant's teaching skills and will enhance the learning of students for the class taught by the applicant for the Maricopa Community Colleges.
Applicants are responsible for reviewing, understanding, and following program guidelines; providing a complete, signed application; and printing off and providing all copies of required back-up with the application to the respective AFPG College Representative by the submission due date. Contact your AFPG College Representative regarding questions you may have and the travel request process followed at your college.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION AND APPROVAL DECISION DUE DATES:
1. Due Date for AFPG College Representatives to be in receipt of fully completed applications from adjunct faculty applicants: 28 days prior to the start date of the professional growth activity.
2. Due Date for AFPG Review Committee to be in receipt of reviewed, signed applications from AFPG College Representatives: 14 days prior to the start date of the professional growth activity.
3. Under normal circumstances, approval status will be provided to the AFPG College Representative 7 days prior to the activity start date.
4. It is the applicant's responsibility to follow-up and check with the AFPG College Representative if approval status is not provided to the applicant prior to the activity start date.
5. Approved, but find you cannot attend your activity? Advise your AFPG College Representative in writing no later than (10) days prior to the start date of the activity. To not do so will affect your eligibility status for future AFPG funding for the fiscal year.
1. Read through the program guidelines to ensure eligibility – exceptions are not provided on an individual basis. Employees are responsible for reading and following the program guidelines.
2. Employees should contact the AFPG College Representative, who will provide information on the correct procedure followed at the college, receive and provide initial review of applications for eligibility before forwarding to the committee, and provide to the employee notification of approval/denial.
3. Be timely in submitting the AFPG application 28 days prior to the start date of the professional growth activity.
4. Some applicants may teach a course at more than one of the Maricopa Colleges. It is required that the application and necessary supportive documentation be submitted online and processed through only one college.
5. The applicant must have a current Travel Acknowledgement Form on file.
6. In addition, the applicant must complete a Travel Authorization Form and obtain necessary signatures from the campus.
7. Once signatures are obtained, the Travel Authorization Form is sent to the college fiscal office for a "T-number" (travel authorization number) to be assigned. Once assigned a "T-number," the AFPG application will move forward.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1. It is the responsibility of the applicant to fully complete and submit the online application, and to provide supportive documentation, information, and weblinks. The AFPG College Representative &/or the AFPG Review Committee may return an incomplete application to the applicant.
2. Complete and submit the online application. Include all estimated expenses, even if they exceed the program maximum.
- Visit http://www.dist.maricopa.edu/business/ap/travel/index.html for allowable rates for lodging, meals, and incidentals.
3. If using personal automobile for roundtrip travel, an estimated lowest airfare must be attached to the online application.
4. Attach scanned &/or weblinks for promotional, brochure materials provided by event sponsor that include:
- full activity name, activity description, dates, location, and a detailed schedule/agenda of event sessions
- registration information: amount of fees charged and being paid by applicant, and what expenses registration fees cover
5. The rationale for the activity must include a complete and full explanation of how the event directly-relates to the class taught by the employee, AND how attending the activity will enhance the applicant’s ability to teach and contribute to the learning experience of students.
6. There may be no duplication of payment for any travel or fees associated with attending the activity. If another party is funding or providing extra funding for any portion of expenses related to activity attendance, the applicant must specify the other party and related expenses in the online application.
7. The applicant will submit a fully completed online application to the AFPG College Representative. It will also be made available to the adjunct faculty applicant's division/department chair to review online.
1. After the applicant has attended the approved AFPG activity, the applicant must write the assigned "T-number" (obtained from the Travel Authorization Form submitted prior) onto a Travel Reimbursement Form, and include original paid receipts for airfare, lodging, registration fee, and shuttle.
2. Receipts must be submitted as soon as possible after travel, no later than directed by District Travel Policy.
3. The Travel Reimbursement Form and original paid receipts are submitted to the college fiscal office for processing. Maximum reimbursement provided to the applicant is based on AFPG approval notification sent to the applicant prior to the activity.
- Example: Jane Doe was approved for $750 AFPG. She submits a Travel Reimbursement Form and original paid receipts for $850. She will only be reimbursed for $750 maximum.
4. If an employee is approved to receive AFPG funding, but for some reason does not attend the activity, the employee will advise the AFPG College Representative within ten (10) working days prior to the activity start date, so that funds may be released for use by other eligible applicants. NOTICE - If the applicant fails to comply with the notification deadline, they will not be eligible for further funding opportunities during that fiscal year.
The following checklist of items is provided to assist you in the preparation/submission of your application package. It is important that you contact your AFPG College Representative who will provide you with procedures applicable to your college.
1. Submit the Travel Policy Acknowlegement Form prior to submitting your request. This form may be found at: http://www.maricopa.edu/disclosure/
2. Fill in all requested information on the AFPG application, including:
- course information (course name and prefix/number, section number), and number of credits assigned for each course you are currently teaching. The level of eligible funding is dependent on the number of credits taught (see funding levels under Program Funding below). Some applicants may teach a course at more than one of the Maricopa Colleges. It is required that the application and necessary supportive documentation be submitted online and processed through only one college.
- a brief, detailed rationale explaining how the activity is directly-related to your course(s) indicated on the application. You must also explain how attending the activity will enhance/benefit your teaching role and student learning in the course.
3. Attach activity support materials to the application. Support material attachments include:
4. Activity sponsor-published activity brochure information or weblinks that includes activity description, activity name, location, dates, target audience, detailed agenda/schedule; breakdown of registration fees and what the fees cover/include (indicating what fees apply to you); conference hotel information. Be sure to include the schedule of activity events/learning sessions.
- If traveling by personal automobile to an out-of-state activity, research economical cost of roundtrip airfare. Attach this printed back-up information to your application.
5. Review your application to ensure that all information and support materials are provided, and sign your application. Submit your application to your AFPG College Representative. All appilcations must be received no later than 28 days prior to your activity date.
6. Submit your expense claim within 30 calendar days after the completion of the activity attended as prescribed by the Maricopa Community Colleges Travel Policy guidelines located at: http://www.maricopa.edu/business/ap/travel/index.html
- Rose is teaching a 1 credit class in fall semester, and Rose teaches a 1 credit class in spring semester. Rose is eligible for $250 in AFPG funding for the fiscal year.
- Rose is teaching a 1 credit class in fall semester, and Rose teaches a 2 credit class in spring semeter. Rose is eligible for $500 in AFPG funding for the fiscal year.
- Rose is teaching a 3 credit class in fall semester and two 3 credit classes in spring semester. Rose is eligible for $750.00 in AFPG funding for the fiscal year.
**Funding level eligibility based upon credit hours assumes that the applicant is assigned equivalent load hours. If load hours assigned to the applicant are less than the credit hours assigned to the class, the applicant will be eligible for the AFPG funding level based on the assigned load hours. If the number of load hours assigned to the applicant exceed the number of credits assigned to the class, the level of funding eligibility will be based on the number of credits assigned to the class. Funding level eligibility cannot exceed the number of credits assigned to the class. For example:
- Rose is teaching a class that is assigned 2 credits, but Rose is only assigned 1.85 load hours to teach the class. Should this be the only class assigned to Rose during the semester, she would be eligible for $250.00 in AFPG funding, not $500.00 for the fiscal year. If Rose is not assigned 6 load hours to teach the same 2 credit class, her eligibility would then be based back to the number of credits assigned to the class.
3. The amount of maximum funding provided for individual applicants on a fiscal year basis will be determined through the recommendation of the Adjunct Faculty Association, Maricopa Center for Learning and Instruction, and approval of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost of Academic and Student Affairs.
5. Professional growth funds are available on a reimbursement basis only.
6. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served bases according to availability of funds.
1. Only applications submitted by the due date will be reviewed by the AFPG Review Committee.
- The AFPG Review Committee includes members of the Adjunct Faculty Association Executive Committee and representatives from the Maricopa Center for Learning and Instruction.
2. The applicant must be employed as an adjunct faculty employee for a credit course (at least one credit), including Librarian or Counselor adjunct faculty employees, by one or more of the Maricopa Community Colleges.
3. Eligible activities (including all associated travel to and from the activity) must occur totally within the time period of one calendar week prior to the class start date and one calendar week after the class end date (the deadline for completion of all examinations and submission of the final grade roster).
- If an application is approved, but the employee does not teach the course as indicated on the application for any reason, including the course being cancelled or the course not making, the activity will not be eligible and will not be funded.
- An activity may also be eligible if directly-related to a credit course taught by the applicant within the immediate past fiscal year, and occurs within the teaching dates of the current credit course of another discipline the applicant is teaching for Maricopa Community Colleges as an adjunct instructor. A clear and complete rationale must be provided on the application to justify the direct relationship of the activity to the course taught within the past fiscal year, as well as how the attendance at the activity will enhance the teaching role for that course.
FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR PROGRAM FUNDING:
- membership fees, dues
- supplemental fees, books
- college tuition (credit or non-credit) and/or course registration fees
- activities held strictly for certification preparation or fees for exams/tests towards accreditation or certification. The purpose of the AFPG program is not to provide skills or certification/accreditation that are required or enable the adjunct instructor to be eligible to teach the assigned course, but to enhance existing skills.
- continuing education credits
- activities held for the purpose of providing private lessons or critique of personal work
- sightseeing and entertainment fees
- festivals and tours
- meals covered by activity registration fees
- private lessons/meetings
- expenses for rental car
- mileage for personal automobile that exceeds lowest cost of roundtrip airfare. Employee must submit with AFPG application back-up documentation for most cost effective, available roundtrip airfare toactivity, if traveling by personal automobile
- per diem, mileage, travel-related expenses to attend activities within Maricopa County
- expenses to attend international activities or events
- expenses that fall outside of the Maricopa Community Colleges Travel Policies