The purpose of the Maricopa Summer Institute is to give those who work with diverse students the theory and practical applications to improve the success, retention, and persistence rates of their students. Literature shows that knowing one’s content area is no longer enough to ensure the successful attainment of students’ education goals. The Institute intends to enhance the professional development and course work in instructional theory and practice. Cross-curricular teams (3-5 individuals) representing each of the Maricopa Community College's ten colleges will participate in the Institute. The Institute will be held at Phoenix College from June 3-27, 2013 Monday through Thursday, from 9:30 A.M. – 2:30 P.M. each day with ½ hour for lunch. This results in approximately 80 hours of seat time.
- The basic cost for the Institute will be supported through the MCLI.
- Vice Presidents of Academic Affairs recruit and select a team of 3-5 individuals to attend MSI.
- Faculty compensation will be supported by the VPAAs.
- For Residential Faculty, there is an alternative opportunity to apply for faculty professional growth clock hours instead of the compensation above.
- Team members are expected to attend all sessions (everyday, the entire time).