Sustainability is to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Higher education plays a key role in building such sustainable societies. As educators it is important to take a leadership role in preparing our students and providing the information and the knowledge to achieve a just and sustainable society.
Sustainability is achieved when all people on Earth can live well without compromising the quality of life for future generations. We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American Proverb
Maricopa’s Charge & Goals
- Interdisciplinary programs.
- To share programs and forge partnerships.
- Infuse sustainability throughout the disciplines via staff development offerings and faculty engagement strategies.
- Purchase socially and environmentally responsible products (e.g. no sweatshop products in the bookstore).
- Build and renovate facilities using socially and environmentally responsible practices.
- Develop college-community partnerships for sustainable development and service learning opportunities for students.
Global Sustainability at Maricopa Community Colleges
Chandler-Gilbert Community College
Estrella Mountain Community College
Gateway Community College
Glendale Community College
Mesa Community College
Paradise Valley Community College
Rio Salado College
Scottsdale Community College
South Mountain Community College