Congratulations to our 2020 UN SDG Faculty Fellows! This year, we have a total of 42 UNSDG Faculty Fellows with faculty from Montgomery College in Maryland, Kwantlen Polytechnic University in Canada, the SUNY system in New York, and the Maricopa Community College District. Across MCCCD, this cohort looks like:
- 25 faculty fellows
- 9 community colleges
- Faculty on 14 of the 16 interdisciplinary teams
- 14 different disciplines
- 11 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
UNSDG Open Pedagogy Fellowship Wins International Award
The UNSDG Open Pedagogy Fellowship was named by the Open Education Global consortium (OE Global) the winner in the Open Pedagogy category of the 2020 Open Education Awards for Excellence. The fellowship allows faculty to learn more about open pedagogy and how to create open assignments linked to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Led by Montgomery College in Maryland, the 2020 UNSDG Open Pedagogy Faculty Fellowship included participation from the Maricopa Community Colleges and Kwantlen Polytechnic University in Canada, and the SUNY system in New York.
According to OE Global, the award is for "an innovative open teaching practice that incorporates openness in several levels of the learning processes. Engaging not only in the production, use and reuse of content but also promoting effective open teaching practices."
OE Global is a global, non-profit organization supporting the development and use of open education around the world.
More information about the award can be found at https://awards.oeglobal.org.
- Teams are interdisciplinary and, wherever possible, cross-institutional
- Teams create 3 interdisciplinary, open pedagogy assignments that incorporate at least 1 of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Individuals in each team implement at least 2 of the assignments over the upcoming academic year
- Students who experienced the open pedagogy assignments in Fall 2020 may be invited to participate in a Student Showcase in Spring 2021
Open Pedagogy Resources
- Wiley, D., & Hilton III, J. L. (2018). Defining OER-Enabled Pedagogy. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 19(4). https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v19i4.3601
- Hegarty, B. (2015). Attributes of open pedagogy: A model for using open educational resources. Educational Technology, 3-13.
- Jhangiani, R. (2016, December 7). Ditching the “Disposable assignment” in favor of open pedagogy. https://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/g4kfx
Montgomery College: https://www.montgomerycollege.edu/offices/elite/unesco/
Kwantlen Polytechnic University:https://www.kpu.ca/open/un-sdg-fellowship
For questions about the 2020 UNSDG Faculty Fellowship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org