QM Essentials: MCCCD Quality Matters Internal Review & Recognition Process
What is Quality Matters?
Quality Matters (QM) is a nationally recognized, research-based, faculty-centered, peer review process designed to acknowledge the quality of online and hybrid courses. The QM framework, implemented through a rubric and driven by professional development, is about course design and making your course navigation and structure intuitive so that students’ questions will be more focused on the content of your course. QM recognized courses help to improve student learning outcomes, student success, and retention.
Why Follow Quality Matters Standards?
Quality Matters standards are designed to deliver the promise of quality online instruction. The standards are research-based and reviewed regularly. For a more in-depth understanding, read more about “Why QM?” and the community behind the standards.
The Maricopa Community Colleges are Quality Matters subscribers. As subscribers, we can access and use the fully annotated QM Rubric to self-review courses, participate in professional development, as well as coordinate official QM reviews for our system.
The QM Rubric
A hardcopy of the QM Rubric can be obtained from your Center for Teaching and Learning by employees of the college. A digital copy can be obtained with a username and password on the MyQM website. To request your account be activated contact your college QM Coordinator.
Conduct a Self-Review
As a member of a subscribing institution, you can use the QM rubric to complete an online self-review using the Course Review Management System (CRMS). This easy to use system allows you to write recommendations to yourself about any QM Standards you may want to improve upon and to share your review with colleagues and mentors. Access the CRMS through MyQM after your account is created or set up.
Quality Achievement: QM Essentials Review
You can share your successes in meeting quality online and hybrid course design by meeting Internal Review Standards. This is an important part of the quality assurance process. It is also an excellent opportunity for reflective practice that will provide you with valuable feedback. A QM Essentials Review can also prepare you for an official QM review, should you choose to complete one.
QM Essentials Internal Review & Recognition Process
- A faculty member completes the QM Essentials Internal Review Request Form to begin the internal review process. The form is assigned to the QM contact at the faculty’s college.
- The faculty member receives confirmation from both their college and QM via email that the request has been accepted.
- The faculty member completes and submits the Course Worksheet in the QM CRMS.
- The QM Internal Review is then conducted by 2 faculty or staff reviewers at each college who have completed either the Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR) or the Improving Your Online Course (IYOC) workshop, at least one of whom is also a QM-Certified Peer Reviewer or Master Reviewer.
- The course either meet all QM Essential (3-point) Standards or recommendations are given for revisions.
- If recommendations are given, course revisions and improvements are made based on the detailed feedback in the review.
- The faculty member receives the QM Essentials Banner to proudly display in the course!
- OPTIONAL: The course is ready for faculty/department to fund an official QM review if desired (this step is up to the faculty and department - not the college CTL.)